After trying out Deckman, Expedition and Tacktix I was getting discouraged. The programs are horribly complicated and seem to be geared for a professional navigator. Then, I was referred to Blue Water Racing by one of the other boats in the Pacific Cup. I am very impressed. Here are my notes, so far:
1. The program is straight-forward and relatively easy to use
2. Buttons at top of the screen are nice
3. Displaying the route on a BSB chart – very cool
4. Polars are in an easy to modify format – even cooler
5. Ability to draw a line with mouse and get the range and bearing – handy for piloting
6. Latitude and longitude in lower right corner
7. The program is able to change a route by dragging a dot.
There are a few rough spots:
Loading a new BSB chart: It would be nice if the program kept the path so I would not have to keep looking through the directory tree
Waypoints – named rather than numbered A waypoint named, “Point Arguello” is much easier to discuss than “Waypoint 5.”
Route list – need to set the speed over ground for each leg.
These things are minor though. Congratulations on a fine job.