Home Page Forums Bluewater Racing General Optimizer Produces Routes That seem to go upwind?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jeff
      Keymaster

[From user AGage]

Yes occasionally BW will produce an odd route with a small section very close to the wind (over very far off) – I have only used it for sailonline races, but they are just the same in that, in these situations you just have to sail as close as you can to the route without losing too much speed (or IRL boats just won’t sail that high!) – also consider BWR or any routing tool will assume static wind for the duration of the time resolution, and does not route a smooth ‘TWA course’ – and most often I have found when BW suggests sailing very high or low for a short period (sometimes a few hours) it IS basically following a TWA course, just in discrete time steps depending on your set time res.
      Most often though it will only ever recommend sailing high or low which conform to VMC for the particular route…
      But I would wait to hear from the developers – this is just from experience using it.

Also – Im pretty sure it should be possible for software to read data from pdf files…
      If there would be interest enough for me to do so (and Im not asking $$) I will look into that more – leave a comment somehwere on the blog and I can let you know 😉

jeff
      Keymaster

See the question “Optimizer makes upwind routes” in the FAQ

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.